- Frodo: I wish it need not have happened in my time.
- Gandalf: So do I, and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
— Robin Hobb, Ship of Magic
- Meg Murry: Do you think things always have an explanation?
- Mrs Murry: Yes. I believe that they do. But I think that with our human limitations we're not always able to understand the explanations. But you see, Meg, just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist.
- Meg Murry: I like to understand things.
- Mrs Murry: We all do. But it isn't always possible.
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
— Victory Hugo, Les Miserables
— John Steinbeck, East of Eden
Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder, “Why, why, why?”
Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.
— Kurt Vonnegut, Cat’s Cradle
— J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring